Music by Duncan Sheik
Lyrics by Steven Sater
Directed by Eric Magnus
Musical Direction by Kevin Hershberger
Asst. Direction by Shelly Stewart
Choreography by Guy Gardner
May 4th and 5th, 2013
from 1:00 - 4:00pm
At St. Pius Church
55th and Woodson, Mission, KS
EXPECTATION and PREPARATION:
Auditions will be an open call both days, and will consist of singing a prepared 32 bar selection of a musical theatre or pop/rock song in the style of the show.
Please Provide: Sheet Music…no CDs & NO ACAPPELLA auditions
Headshot/Resume (if available)
Invited Callbacks will be held on Saturday, May 11th from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Please be prepared to read scenes and sing songs from the show (sides will be provided). Also, please dress appropriate to dance at callbacks. If you are auditioning, please make sure to clear your schedule that afternoon, as callbacks are critical to putting together the strongest ensemble for this ensemble piece.
Rehearsals will begin Sunday, August 4th. Typical weekly rehearsal schedule will be Sunday through Thursday nights from 7 – 10pm. Conflicts with the rehearsal schedule must be kept to an absolute minimum during the rehearsal process. No conflicts will be accepted during dress / tech week (9/15 – 9/19)
September 19th – October 6th, 2013
Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm
Sundays at 2:00pm
All performances take place at…
The Barn Players Theatre
6219 Martway in Mission, KS
Winner of 8 TONY Awards, including BEST MUSICAL, SPRING AWAKENING celebrates the unforgettable journey from youth to adulthood with a power, poignancy, and passion that you will never forget. Adapted from Frank Wedekind's 1891 German expressionist play about the trials, tears, and exhilaration of the teen years, it has been hailed as the "Best Musical of the Year" by the New York Times, New York Post, Star Ledger, Journal News, New York Observer and USA Today. Featuring unforgettable music by Duncan Sheik and Lyrics by Steven Sater, SPRING AWAKENING explores a place and time where teenagers try to find their way in a world controlled by the adults in their lives.
We are looking for a multi-racial, high-energy cast of performers for this Tony Award winning musical, which will be a Kansas City community theatre premiere.
• WENDLA – An innocent high school student, trapped in her family. But with every passing day, she grows bolder and more curious about her body and the world around her. Both vulnerable and a willing participant in her evolution. (G3 - E5) – Featured soloist. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt.
• MARTHA – A high school student who lives with a painful, life-changing secret. (G3 - E5) – Featured soloist. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt.
• ILSE – Martha's sister, who lives with a painful secret of her own. She has run away from home and now lives as a "girl toy" in a Parisian artists' colony. She is Moritz's last hope. (G3 - E5) – Featured soloist. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt.
• THEA – Wendla's best friend. A high school student who tries to stay innocent and pure in the face of many distractions and temptations. (A3 - E5) – Featured soloist. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt.
• ANNA – Martha's best friend. A high school student. She has a difficult time understanding Martha's burdens. (A3 - C5) – Featured soloist. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt.
• MELCHIOR – A smart, independent, headstrong high school student who refuses to bow down to society's rules. An atheist. Struggles with his intense feelings for Wendla. (G2 - G4) – Featured soloist. Bari-tenor.
• MORITZ – Melchior's best friend. A troubled high school student who desperately tries to please his father, but always seems to disappoint him. Has haunting dreams, and grows increasingly tormented. (B2 - A4) – Featured soloist.
• GEORG – An exceptionally horny schoolmate of Melchior's who is overcome with sexual feelings for his piano teacher. (Ab2 - A4, and up to a possible D5 in falsetto) Featured soloist. – Bari-tenor.
• HANSCHEN – A beautiful, cunning schoolmate of Melchior's who is disarmingly comfortable with his own sexuality. He uses his good looks and intelligence to manipulate a fellow student. (C3 - A4) – Featured soloist. Bari-tenor.
• OTTO – A classmate of Melchior's who struggles with sexual feelings he considers inappropriate. (C3 - B4) – Featured soloist. Bari-tenor.
• ERNST – Another beautiful schoolmate of Melchior's, but naïve and easily manipulated. Unsure of who he is sexually. (C3 - A4) – Featured soloist.
• THE ADULT MAN (multiple roles) – Primarily acting. Several important roles, including HERR STIEFEL (Moritz's father), HERR GABOR (Melchior's Father), and HERR SONNENSTICH (the boys' school teacher) – Ensemble singer. Bari-tenor.
• THE ADULT WOMAN (multiple roles)– Primarily acting. Several important roles, including FRAU GABOR (Melchior's mother), FRAU BERGMAN (Wendla's mother), and Georg's piano teacher, FRAULEIN GROSSEBUSTENHALTER – Ensemble singer. Alto/ Mezzo mix belt(s).
** ALL STUDENTS ROLES…AGES 16 – 25
*** ADULT ROLES…AGES 35 - 60
*** PLUS AN ENSEMBLE OF SINGERS…AGES 16–25.
For more information, please contact Eric Magnus, Artistic Director of
The Barn Players, at email@example.com
The Barn Players embraces diversity in all aspects of our organization. Non-traditional and equal-opportunity casting is encouraged.
This message has been sent through KC Stage's Automated
Press Release System at http://www.kcstage.com/.
Any and all information listed in this e-mail is property
of the person sending this information and KC Stage
can not be held liable for the content.