Thoroughly Modern Millie
New Music by Jeanine Tesori
New Lyrics by Dick Scanlan
Book by Dick Scanlan and Richard Henry Morris
Original Story and Screenplay by Richard Henry Morris for the Universal Pictures Film.
Additional Songs by James Van Heusen & Sammy Cahn / Jay Thompson Sir Arthur Sullivan & Sir W. S. Gilbert / Victor Herbert & Rida Johnson Young Walter Donaldson, Sam Lewis & Joe Young
Directed & Choreographed by Kipp Simmons
Musical Direction by Kevin Bogan
Tap Choreography by Valerie Martin
Assistant Direction by Korey Childs
Assistant Choreography by JC Dresslaer
May 2nd from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
May 3rd from 2:00pm to 4:00pm
At St. Pius Church
55th and Woodson, Mission, KS
EXPECTATION and PREPARATION:
• Auditions will be an open call both days, and will consist of singing a prepared 32 bar selection of a musical theatre song in the style of the show. There will also be a dance audition, so wear proper attire. A Tap combination will be taught at callbacks, but be prepared to show any tap skills you have at the open audition.
• Please Provide: Sheet Music...no CDs & NO ACAPPELLA auditions. Headshot/Resume (if available)
• Invited Callbacks will be held on Saturday, May 9th from 1:00pm - 5:00pm at the Arts Asylum at 9th Street and Harrison in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. If you are auditioning, please make sure to clear your schedule that day, as callbacks are critical to putting together the strongest ensemble for this ensemble piece.
• Rehearsals will begin around August 9th. Typical weekly rehearsal schedule will be Sunday through Thursday nights from 6:30pm – 10pm. Rehearsals the last 2 weeks of rehearsal may go to 10:30p. (Tech Rehearsal on Sunday, September 13th will be from 1:00p – 6:00p) Conflicts with the rehearsal schedule must be kept to an absolute minimum during the rehearsal process. No conflicts will be accepted during dress / tech week without prior approval from the director.
• If you are unable to attend either open call, please email your interest to email@example.com. You may be asked to send a video singing a 32 bar selection and a short monologue.
September 18th – October 4th
Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm
Sundays at 2:00pm
Industry Night performance on Monday, September 28th at 7:30pm
All performances take place at…
The Barn Players Theatre
6219 Martway in Mission, KS
Based on the popular 1967movie, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE is a high-spirited, zany, new 1920's musical that took Broadway by storm, winning the Tony Award for Best Musical in the 2001-2002 season. Taking place in New York City in 1922, this charming show tells the story of young Millie Dillmount, who has just moved to the city in search of a new life for herself. It's a New York full of intrigue and jazz – a time when women were entering the workforce and the rules of love and social behavior were changing forever.
• MILLIE DILLMOUNT - A spunky, modern woman trying to make it in New York City. She falls in love with Jimmy and is our story's protagonist. - Female, 20-30 yrs old - Range: G#3 - E5 – good tapper
• JIMMY SMITH - A suave city slicker who unexpectedly becomes the story's hero. He falls in love with Millie. - Male, 20-35 yrs old - Range: C3 - A4
• MISS DOROTHY BROWN - A naive, wealthy girl who has moved to New York to change her lifestyle. She becomes Millie's roommate and confidant. - Female, 20-30 yrs old - Range: B3 - C6
• MRS. MEERS - A former actress turned human trafficker pretending to be a kindly Chinese woman. She oversees the Hotel Priscilla where she secretly sells her tenants. - Female or male, 40- 60 yrs old - Range: E3 - Bb4 - (We are open to making this a "drag" role for a male)
• TREVOR GRAYDON - An executive at the Sincere Trust Insurance Company. He is sharp, ambitious, and secretly romantic. - Male, 30-40 yrs old - Range: A2 - G4
• MUZZY VAN HOSSMERE - A glamorous actress and singer at a night club. She becomes Millie's friend and mentor. - Female, 40-60 yrs old - Range: G#3 - D5
• MISS FLANNERY - An uptight, stern office manager. She runs the stenographer pool at Sincere Trust Insurance Company. Female, 25- 50 yrs old - Range: Bb3 - D5 - good tapper
• BUN FOO - A Chinese immigrant working to bring his mother to the United States. Older brother of Ching Ho and henchman to Mrs. Meers. Sings and speaks in Chinese. - Male, 20-35 yrs old - Range: E3 - E4
• CHING HO - A Chinese immigrant working to bring his mother to the United States. Younger brother of Bun Foo and henchman to Mrs. Meers. Sings and speaks in Chinese. - Male, 18-25 yrs old - Range: Bb2 - E4
• DANCING ENSEMBLE – A strong dancing (especially tap) ensemble to play MODERNS, STENOGRAPHERS, HOTEL PRISCILLA GIRLS, MUZZY'S BOYS, and OTHERS. – all ages and types
• SINGING ENSEMBLE – A strong singing ensemble to play MODERNS, STENOGRAPHERS, MUZZY'S FRIENDS and OTHERS – all ages and types
For more information, please contact Eric Magnus, Artistic Director of The Barn Players, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Barn Players embraces diversity in all aspects of our organization. Non-traditional and equal-opportunity casting is encouraged.
This message has been sent through KC Stage's Automated
Press Release System at http://www.kcstage.com/.
Any and all information listed in this e-mail is property
of the person sending this information and KC Stage
can not be held liable for the content.